Wayne State University

Travel FAQs

The TravelWayne (Concur) Application
How do I log in to TravelWayne?

You can access the application through Academica.  Under WSU Resources, click on Employee Resources, then Administrative Systems, and then TravelWayne. You can also choose to pin TravelWayne to your My Frequent Links.

Additionally, Concur's mobile app is a natural extension of Concur's full-featured, web-based service – Travel & Expense – which integrates travel and expense processes. With the mobile app, travelers can manage trips and expenses, and add items such as taxis, hotels, and rental cars – all from a mobile device.

What if I do not book my own travel?

In TravelWayne, you can select an assistant or arranger to reserve your travel.   On the My Concur page, click Profile and then click the Assistants link at the top of the page.   Click Add an Assistant to add the person who you would like to authorize to reserve your travel. This person can now update your profile and also make travel arrangements for you.

If you do not see your travel arranger in the list of people to select from, that individual might not have access to TravelWayne.   To add your arranger to the list, contact the Travel Office.  

Why should I use TravelWayne instead of calling an agent directly?
TravelWayne allows you to quickly make plans after viewing your travel options.  In addition, you have direct access to WSU’s negotiated fares delivered by our travel agency.   TravelWayne provides a list of all your travel plans and is your direct source for travel alerts.
What if I want to book a flight on my own?
TravelWayne allows you to quickly make plans after viewing your travel options. In addition, you have direct access to WSU’s negotiated fares delivered by our travel agency. TravelWayne provides a list of all your travel plans and is your direct source for travel alerts.
Can I add a car or hotel to an airline reservation after it is booked?
Yes, you can make changes before your ticket is issued. To add or modify your trip, click the name of the trip on the Upcoming Trips section of My Concur and then click Change Trip.
How do I pay for my reservations?
When you reserve airfare, hotel, and car rental reservations, your credit card number is used to purchase your reservations. Please confirm that your credit card information in your TravelWayne Profile is accurate.  If the credit card information is missing, you will not be able to continue with your reservation.
How can I view the itinerary for flights I have already booked?
On the My Concur page, review the Upcoming Trips section. For more detailed information, click the appropriate trip name in the Trip Name/Description column and then click View Itinerary.
My name displayed in my TravelWayne Profile does not match my photo ID. How do I change my Travel Profile name?

The Concur Travel Profile displays a warning message for employees that their imported Travel Profile name needs to match the name on their photo identification they plan to use at the airport. This is the name with which airline reservations will be issued.   The warning is based upon increased Transportation Security Administration guidelines. The warning message indicates: ‘Your Name and Airport Security: Please make certain that the first and last names shown below are identical to those on the photo identification that you will be presenting at the airport. Due to increased airport security, you may be turned away at the gate if the name on your identification does not match the name on your ticket’.

The TravelWayne Profile name is populated with the employee primary (legal) name as designated in the University’s Human Resources System.    Employees are not able to change their primary name in the Concur Travel Profile.  Therefore, you should have your University record updated and this will flow into the TravelWayne profile.  Please contact your department to have your HR record updated. 

Who can make changes to an employee’s Concur profile?
The employee can modify his/her own profile in Concur. In addition, if the employee has assigned a delegate, the delegate can make all changes to the employee’s profile except for the Expense Delegate and Travel Arranger assignments. Any assignment of delegation must be done by the employee directly. Delegates must obtain the approval of the employee when making any changes to the employee’s profile.
WSU Travel Policy
Can you summarize the per diem policy as it applies to travel meals and incidentals?

Per Diem rates are used for employee travel meals and incidentals for domestic travel (defined as destinations outside the contiguous U.S. including Hawaii, Alaska, and U.S. Territories & Possessions) and foreign travel.

Travelers are limited to federal per diem amounts categorized as the Meals and Incidental Expenses Rate (M & IE Rate). Domestic per diem rates currently range between $71 and $46 for domestic cities. Rates for foreign per diem vary among countries and specific regions. Per Diem rates are available on the General Services Administration (GSA) web site at www.gsa.gov.

While not recommended, it is permissible for departments and units facing fiscal constraints to pay per diems that are less than the published domestic and foreign per diem rates, using the Per Diem for Meals and Incidental Expenses guidelines.

Per diems are allocated as a reimbursement at the conclusion of the travel, following submission of the expense report, approval by the unit, and successful audit.

When must I file my travel expense report?
The Travel Expense report must be filed in a reasonable amount of time upon return form your trip.  The IRS requirement for an “accountable plan” states that employees must “adequately account for your expenses within 60 days after they were paid or incurred”.  Therefore, 60 days is the latest one should file.  However, there are other factors that need to be considered.  Receiving reimbursement or having the University Travel Card paid directly requires the Travel Expense report to be filed and approved.  In addition, late submissions reduce the quality of the university’s financial records.
Can travelers be reimbursed for travel expenses before a trip takes place?
The University’s Travel Policy does allow for reimbursement for expenses in advance of the trip (e.g., for airfare, conference registration/fees, etc.).  The traveler can file a preliminary Travel Expense Report to capture these costs and generate reimbursement to the traveler or payment to the University Travel Card Company.
How do I calculate mileage if I use my personal vehicle to travel to and from the airport before and after a trip?
Reimbursement for mileage to and from the airport is generally calculated based on the traveler's work/office location. For example, if you reside in Macomb and you work in Detroit, you would calculate your mileage to and from DTW airport based on your home location and subtract off your daily commuting miles.
Can I stay at the hotel hosting a conference even if less expensive hotels are available elsewhere?
The policy provides that the traveler should select the lowest lodging rate option while keeping proximity to the business location and safety in mind. The policy does not preclude travelers from staying at a hotel hosting a conference. Travelers planning to stay at a conference hotel should, however, ask if other discounts (e.g., government rate) are available that may result in a lower rate than the conference rate. If there are no other applicable discounts, the conference rate for single room occupancy is an allowable expense.
If I travel to a city away from my university office for half a day, will I be reimbursed for mileage and per diem?
You will be reimbursed for mileage, but you would not be eligible for the per diem because the trip is less than 12 hours in a single day.
Is taxi transportation to/from the airport or to/from business meetings while on travel status part of the per diem?
No. Ground transportation to and from the airport (e.g., taxi, shuttle), and ground transportation to and from business meetings while on travel status are not part of the per diem. These are reimbursable travel expenses.
Can I still use my current travel agency?
Use of the designated travel agency is not mandated, but the university strongly recommends that units utilize Conlin Travel when arranging travel to take advantage of discounts.
Per Diems
What does per diem mean?
The definition of per diem is “by the day” or “for each day.” The University is using the per diem allowance set by the U.S. government to cover meals and incidentals (not lodging) while on business travel status. Per Diem amounts are published by the General Services Administration (GSA) and are specific to major cities. Receipts are not required when claiming per diem.
Why has the university implemented a travel meal per diem?
The use of per diem for travel meals and incidentals complies with federal policies, and is an approach that most of our public peers have already put into place. Per Diem also reduces the administrative burden for faculty and staff by eliminating the need to collect and submit receipts.
Does the per diem policy apply to foreign travel?
Yes. WSU’s new Travel Policy, effective for travel beginning on and after April 1, 2012, provides for the use of per diem rates for all meals and incidentals for both domestic and foreign travel.
Can units pay less than the per diem if their budgets are limited?
While not generally recommended, it is permissible for departments and units facing fiscal constraints to pay per diems that are less than the published United States General Services Administration (GSA) per diem rates. Departments and units are not permitted to reimburse at rates higher than federal per diems for meals on travel status.
Where do I find per diem rates for my destination?
To view per diem rates, visit the GSA per diem website at: www.gsa.gov and select Per Diem Rates from the main menu. Use the M&IE rate listed by location.
What if I can’t locate the city I’m traveling to among the list of cities on the government’s website?

Domestic cities not appearing in the GSA per diem table may be located within a county for which rates are listed. To determine what county a city is located in, visit the National Association of Counties (NACO) website(a non-federal website). Note: If neither the city nor the county is listed, the location is a standard GSA destination with a rate of $46.00 for meals and incidental expenses (M&IE).

If a foreign city does not appear in the per diem table for a specific country, use the M&IE rate listed for other. Note: Some foreign locations may not list per diem rates with the M&IE heading, In this case, per diem is equal to the rate listed for Local Meals + Local Incidentals.

What per diem am I allowed during my travel day? For example, if my flight leaves at 11:30 p.m., how much would I claim?
Departing Outbound after 8:00 p.m.  No meals allowed, Inbound fights arriving after 6:00 p.m. are allowed the full per diem rate for that day.
University Travel Card and Reimbursement
How do I apply for the University Travel Card? Who is eligible for the card?
All University employees that travel regularly for the institution are eligible.  The internal application forms can be found on the Travel Website. There is no external application or credit check.
Does the University automatically pay the monthly Travel Card bill?
The University makes payments to JPMorgan Chase based on approved travel expense reports where the receipt has been presented and used as support for an expense.  The individual cardholder is responsible for ensuring that the report has been filed. Additionally, the cardholder is responsible for any other unreimbursed charges.
How often does the University make payments to the card company?
Payments to JPMorgan Chase are made every business day based on the approved expense reports.
What happens if the card incurs delinquent or penalty fees?
The individual cardholder is responsible for all charges posted to the account.  Therefore, it is critical that the individual ensure timely filing of expense reports and review of monthly statements.
Can I use the card for personal items while in travel status?
The card should not be used for personal expenses or for those expenses for which the traveler will not be seeking reimbursement.  One exception to this rule would be meal costs.  Because institutional policy utilizes a daily per diem, a meal cost may exceed the allowed rate.  In that case, the individual may use the Travel card but would be personally responsible for the amount over the allowed rate.